On Sunday we looked at three "laws" of Love:
- The best use of life is LOVE
- The best expression of love is TIME
- The best time to love is NOW
We were put on this earth to learn to love and be loved. Most of us have found too many other things to be busy with to make this truth our life priority. During our 40 days, we'll have plenty of opportunities to turn things around and begin to focus on what, and more importantly, who is most important.
If you missed the sermon, you can listen to it HERE.
Our homework was the following:
- Spend 5, 10 or 15 minutes each day for each family member in your household.
- LISTEN, look them in the face and let them talk.
- Depending on what you hear, apologize, empathize, or just celebrate with them.
If you're having trouble getting someone to talk. Try one of these questions:
- What is something you would like me to know and that you think I may not be aware of?
- What is something you would realistically like to have happen by the end of the year?
- What are you afraid of?
- What are you looking forward to?
- What is something you are currently concerned about or struggling with?
- How can I do a better job of loving you?
And remember, how you respond will make a huge difference. Work hard not to be defensive, not to explain away, and not to leave the conversation before it's done. A good way to make sure you've heard well, is to tell your family member what you heard.
The truth is, all of us can afford to learn to love more effectively. Our goal and our heart is to become those who love like Jesus loves! We want others to know that we are Christians by our love!
Try it out, then let me know how it went or how it is going.
Let's do this!
Please pray for Webb Hype's father, John, who is living with Webb and Carol and is in hospice care. Pray for Webb and Carol to be empowered with strength, wisdom and grace in this difficult season.